As a tasteless, odorless, colorless poisonous gas that’s created when gas, propane, oil, kerosene, oil, and coal are burned - carbon monoxide is more likely to become a problem in the winter.
Here in Cedar Rapids, we know what it’s like to experience frigid winters. It’s essential for us to rely on heat sources such as fireplaces, wood stoves, and furnaces. However, there comes a problem when the ventilation systems for these appliances become blocked or damaged. The result is a buildup of carbon monoxide, which can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Even a small amount of carbon monoxide is dangerous.
Fortunately, there are five things you can do to ensure your family is safe from carbon monoxide poisoning all year round:
The best thing you can do to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning is to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. While some homeowners opt to do this themselves, you’re better off to consult the professionals.
Hawkeye Communication is a certified detection company that will inspect your home and install an alarm on each level. As Iowa’s only certified Honeywell dealer, we know about quality products. Give us a call to have your alarms installed and we’ll show you how to change the batteries and explain everything you need to know about maintenance.
Iowa’s winter winds can be bitter and chilling to the bone, so when you’re desperate for a grilled steak or hamburger, it can be tempting to place the grill in a garage or basement. NEVER do this!
Placing a barbeque or grill indoors is extremely dangerous because outdoor appliances are intended for outdoor use only. This is because they need proper ventilation so the gas can flow freely.
Think of your fuel-burning appliances like you do your car - they each need routine maintenance to run properly. Have each of these appliances inspected by a professional annually and follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for further maintenance:
Inspect your vents each season to ensure they’re clear of debris. If you spot any obstructions, remove them to prevent improper ventilation. Inspect the following vents with the changing of the seasons:
Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to:
If you or someone in your house experiences any of these symptoms (and you happen to notice that they go away outside), it’s time to get your family out of the house. Contact your local fire department if you suspect a carbon monoxide leak.
Hawkeye Communication provides reliable carbon monoxide detection services to homeowners in Cedar Falls, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City. Don’t let your family go another winter without proper detection. To install a CO2 system, give us a call today and we’ll give you a free quote.