Carbon monoxide is a silent and deadly killer that can enter your home through a number of ways. Even in high concentrations it cannot be smelled, tasted, or seen. For these reasons, it poses a threat to you and your family.
Long-term exposure is dangerous and can lead to serious health problems such as heart, lung, and brain damage.
Carbon monoxide is created when fossil fuels and carbon are burned without the necessary components to complete combustion. Usually, this means there wasn’t enough oxygen present during burning. Whenever you burn a carbon or fossil fuel-based material (coal, wood, oil, or natural gas) in your home, you’re running the risk of creating carbon monoxide.
Because carbon monoxide is difficult to detect, you truly have to pay attention to your health. If you notice any of these symptoms, you should get to safety immediately and have the issue investigated.
Whether you have gas or electric appliances in your home, you should have a carbon monoxide detector installed. Having a carbon monoxide detector is the best way to discover any CO released by poor ventilation in your home.
Having a gas boiler on your property or any carbon fuel burning appliance automatically puts you at a higher risk for CO issues. Make sure the boiler is turned off if it’s safe to do so and that all windows and doors are open to prevent gas build-up. Taking steps to ensure proper ventilation and installing a carbon monoxide alarm are two crucial steps to take in keeping your family safe.
At Hawkeye Communication, we want to keep your family safe. This is why we install only high-quality carbon monoxide detectors in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Waterloo, and Cedar Falls. Because we’ve specialized in carbon monoxide detection for years, we know the warning signs. Watch for any of the following issues in your home:
If you notice any of these signs, switch off the suspected appliance and have it inspected immediately.
Combustion vents should never be covered up or removed. If you see a gas appliance that doesn’t have a vent or has one that’s covered, address it right away. Since CO is built-up when proper ventilation is prevented, correcting this will keep CO out of your home.
During the winter months, the risk for carbon monoxide poisoning significantly rises. This is because we’re using our gas appliances more. We’re also spending more time indoors. Don’t waste any time, keep your family safe from carbon monoxide-related risks by installing a detector today.
The experienced team at Hawkeye Communication can visit your home in Cedar Falls, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, or Iowa City and give you a quote based on your property’s needs.