More holiday tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

More holiday tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

December 19, 2018 at 3:12 PM

More holiday tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.jpg

 

What is carbon monoxide

 

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is usually emitted by gas burning appliances such as water heater, stoves, and furnaces. It is deemed to be a silent killer.

 

Tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning at home

 

1.Do not use gas stoves and ovens for heating the home.

 

Gas stoves and ovens are for cooking, not for heating the home during the cold season. Gas stoves and ovens emit a low amount of carbon monoxide, but it is not the case when it is overused. The carbon monoxide will build up and may be poisonous for the family. Use a heater intended for keeping the home warm.

 

2.Install a carbon monoxide detector.

 

Carbon monoxide detectors are designed to detect the level of carbon monoxide in a specific area to prevent poisoning. Be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector installed because it will keep your family safe despite being relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

 

3.Test the batteries used for your detector.

 

Be keen, your detector might have run out of battery and it will not be fully functional all throughout the holiday season. Make it a routine to check for the detector's batteries at least every three months.

 

4.Do not leave the car's engine running inside your garage.

 

Cars emit a high level of carbon monoxide and running it in a closed space such as your garage may be dangerous. If you are warming your car up, be sure to drive it outside the garage as soon as it is ready.

 

5.Keep the furnaces monitored.

 

Furnaces are used for high-temperature heating and it emits a high level of carbon monoxide. Have it checked regularly and keep its vents clean so that the carbon monoxide will be disposed of properly.

 

6.Keep the vent hood open while cooking.

 

If you are cooking inside your kitchen, keep the vent hood open while you are cooking and maybe a few more minutes after to fully eliminate carbon monoxide build up. It will help lessen the risk of poisoning and will ventilate the kitchen as well.

 

Ensure that your carbon monoxide detector is working efficiently. Let us check it for you. Call us at (319) 362-4300.

Tags: