The Top 3 Sources of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The Top 3 Sources of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

July 09, 2018 at 8:45 AM

The Top 3 Sources of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.jpg

 

Between 2010 and 2015, there were 2,224 deaths as a result of unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning in the United States. The highest numbers of deaths occurred in the winter months.

 

In Iowa, we’re busy enjoying the warmth and sunshine of summer, but winter will be here before we know it. If carbon monoxide poisoning isn’t something you’ve thought about, it’s time to make some changes around your home.

 

What exactly is carbon monoxide?

 

 

Why is it a threat?

 

When CO is hanging in the air, it will enter your bloodstream along with the oxygen you breathe. Because CO displaces the oxygen in your blood, it will deprive you of oxygen. When too much oxygen is displaced, you suffocate.

 

What are the symptoms?

 

In high concentrations

 

In low concentrations

 

Who is at risk?

 

While CO can harm anyone exposed to it, the following people are at greater risk:

 

 

Three sources of carbon monoxide poisoning found around your home

 

1. The car exhaust in your attached garage

 

About 60% of carbon monoxide issues are due to automobile exhaust. Do you warm your car up in your garage in the winter? Those who do are trapping CO inside their attached garage. Even if you have the garage door open, you could still be trapping CO in your garage, which will find its way into your home.

 

The safe thing to do is pull your car out of the garage, close the door, and let it warm up in your driveway before heading out into the cold.

 

2. Gas appliances

 

Approximately 20% of the time, CO alarms go off because of gas cooking appliances. If your gas cooking appliances are misused, poorly maintained, were poorly installed, or are unvented they’re contributing to the CO level in your home.

 

If you have gas appliances that you’re concerned about, speak to an experienced appliance technician about maintaining or replacing them. You should also have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home. Cedar Rapids is home to Hawkeye Communication, a professional team that specializes in carbon monoxide alarm systems.

 

3. Poor ventilation

 

Number three is one of the most common sources of CO poisoning. When your home has poor ventilation it means combustion products aren’t being safely expelled to the outside. The cause could be venting problems from blocked chimney flues or poor venting for appliances and fireplaces.

 

If your home’s ventilation system was poorly installed, it could be causing negative air pressure in the house, which leads to back-drafting.

 

Your home could be at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Schedule a quote with the team at Hawkeye Communication today. We’ll visit you in Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Cedar Falls, or Iowa City and install a state-of-the-art carbon monoxide detector you can depend on. We’ll also maintain it for you!

 

Conclusion


Don’t wait! Install a gas detector today to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home. Winter is just around the corner, which means you’ll be using your gas appliances, heating up your vehicle, and staying indoors more. Your home needs to be a safe place for you and your family. Call Hawkeye Communication now.

Tags: