The thought that a colorless, tasteless, odorless, invisible gas can poison or kill you in your own office building or home is a terrifying one. The first step to preventing such a tragedy is to educate your family or your employees on what to do when there’s an unhealthy dose of CO in your space.
On average, CO poisoning kills around 170 people in the United States each year. While it’s more common in the winter months, when windows are closed and appliances such as heaters, fireplace, and furnaces are in use, it can happen at any time.
Fortunately, deaths related to CO poisoning are completely preventable. The first step is to have quality carbon monoxide detectors professionally installed in your home or commercial building.
The next step is to make people aware of what to expect when the alarm does go off.
Below are the steps you should take immediately following notification:
This first step is critical. If someone is showing signs of CO poisoning, do your best to get everything out. If you’re unfamiliar with the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, here’s what to look for:
When your carbon monoxide detector is beeping, the most important thing you can do is act quickly. The longer you stay in the building, the more likely you are to breathe in the deadly gas which will cause serious health consequences.
Long-term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
There are several smoke alarm systems that also function as carbon monoxide detectors, so be sure you know what kind you have. Detectors will chirp if they’re low on battery power, so don’t freak out if you hear a short chirp every minute.
If you have a Honeywell carbon monoxide detector that’s connected to your security system, then you don’t have to worry about calling emergency services - your system will do it for you. But if your CO detectors are not connected, then you should dial 911 or your local fire department immediately.
Ensure everyone in your family or your staff and visitors are out of the building. If you notice that someone is missing, don’t go back in after them. Instead, tell the authorities when they arrive.
If a carbon monoxide emergency occurs in your building, have a professional team determine the source. Have them repair or replace the leak ASAP.
Remember that CO can leak from different appliances such as:
At Hawkeye Communication, carbon monoxide poisoning is something we take very seriously. As a life safety company that serves the Cedar Falls, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City areas, we take pride in doing everything we can to keep your home and office space safe. Give us a call today to book your inspection, installation, or maintenance service.